Part 3 of the Working Towards your Goal series.
So, now you know where you are and where you want to be the big question next is how do I get there.
A friend of mine did this exercise recently. When he a took a proper look at his life drawn out on paper it resembled a series of boxes, everything was defined exactly like that. The work box, the house box, the decorating, the children, 3 of them all in separate boxes with their individual needs all boxed out. Then there was the financial box and the worries all in separate boxes. Worries about paying the bills, worries about car insurance, worries about paying for a holiday. No faces had features either.
His drawing of where he wanted to be was more free flowing, colourful and it included him holding hands with his wife and children. It was a far happier image.
You may have already completed a similar exercise – see my last post.
So how to get from A to B.
Imagine a bridge between the two images and start to think about all the steps you need to take to get there. Write down each of the steps separately, whether they be small steps or big steps.
My friend’s list looked something like this:
1. Find time each week to take my children to the park or for a walk
2. Clear out the spare bedroom to turn into an office or workspace to get organised
3. Sell the 2nd family car as we hardly ever use it
4. Clear out the garage and make a playroom for the children
5. Ask my boss about possibility of promotion
6. Have a conversation with my wife and share with her the pressures that I am under
7. Think about re-training for another career
8. Exercise more
By taking a clear good look at each action that needs to be taken it makes it easier to plan.
If you want your life to change then you can make it happen and it need not be as hard as you think.
Affirmation: I can take small steps to bring about big change
Watch out for Part 4 of this Working towards your Goal series which will look at obstacles that stop people taking the steps.
More from my site
- Is getting a diagnosis a good idea?
- Any guilt trips planned for this year?